All of Vermont's Attractions in One Beautiful Place
Located in one of the prettiest valleys in Vermont and only a few hours drive from New York City, Northern New Jersey, Boston and Connecticut, lies the wonderful, beautiful and sophisticated Vermont town of Manchester.
Welcome to Manchester Vermont
Manchester is the one place in Vermont where you can experience all of Vermont. No matter what the season, Manchester and the surrounding communities have everything you want to do or see on a trip to the Green Mountain State. We welcome you to explore the many things to do, places to stay, dining options, and shopping adventures that Manchester, Vermont, has to offer.
So Much To Do in Manchester Vermont
Manchester boasts four seasons of outdoor recreation, beautiful views, relaxing hikes, sophisticated culture, and unique Vermont seasonal events. We invite you to explore our beautiful mountains, valleys, lakes, rivers and forests. Learn about our place in history, see our art, visit our farms, and witness world-class musical and theatrical performances. We welcome you to meet our friendly shopkeepers and visit some of the most fascinating stores in the world. Most of all, we wish you a healthy, relaxing and enjoyable visit, filled with exciting adventures, priceless moments, and lasting memories.
Manchester means winter fun. Outdoor activities abound, from skiing to skating and sledding to sleigh rides.
- World-Class Skiing and SnowboardingBromley, Stratton and Magic Mountain are all within 30 minutes of Manchester, making this the perfect winter resort town.
- Cross-Country Skiing and Snow ShoeingOne of our most enjoyable outdoor activities is the fabulous experience of touring on skis or snowshoes. Rent or bring your own equipment. Trails abound.
- Skate, Slide and RideHear the sounds of gleeful children (and childish adults) sliding down slopes of packed powder. Skating is available on ponds and at Olympic-sized Riley Rink. Even enjoy a horse-drawn sleigh ride.
- SnowmobilingManchester and surrounding communities have an extensive snowmobile trail system. Bring your own or reserve a guided snowmobile ride.
Manchester is a four-season resort with a rotation of activities that change with our seasonal variation in weather. To fully experience Manchester, plan to visit at different times of the year.
- Fall Foliage“Leaf-peeping” is one of the most popular outdoor activities we have. Join us in September and October to witness the sensational color kaleidoscope of our mountains and forests.
- Maple SugaringSpring is the time for maple sugaring and Vermont is by far the top maple syrup producer in the country. Visit “sugar shacks” to see how trees are tapped, sap is collected, and boiled down to syrup.
- Manchester Holiday MerrimentA month-long celebration of the holiday season complete with tree lightings, caroling, inn tours, horse and wagon rides, wine tastings, and a lighted tractor parade.
- Annual EventsJust a sampling… The Vermont Summer Festival Horse Show, Antique Car Show, Sheepdog Trial, Half and Full Marathons, Bicycling Events, the Peru Fair, Parades, and… well, the list goes on and on.
Manchester is the center of the outdoor sporting life in Vermont. World-famous for golf, fly-fishing, sport shooting and hunting, the area is a mecca for those who love to play outdoors.
- GolfManchester is home to some of the most beautiful golf courses in all of New England. Lush fairways, manicured greens, fantastic views and challenging shots await you. Carts, lessons and club rentals are available at all courses.
- Fly Fishing and Spin FishingFish the world-famous Battenkill, or one on many other rivers and lakes. Visit the American Museum of Fly Fishing and the Orvis Flagship Store. Take fly-fishing lessons or go on a guided fishing trip.
- Clay ShootingLearn to shoot or improve your aim with clay pigeon shooting instruction. A safe and enjoyable experience for young, old, and in between.
The world-famous Battenkill is among many rivers and streams flowing through the area. Several Vermont state parks with beaches and boating are a short drive from Manchester.
- Kayak, Canoe and TubingSee the scenery from a different perspective as you paddle or float down the Battenkill River. Plenty of lakes and ponds to explore by boat all season long. Rentals and guided trips available.
- Summer SwimmingPlunge into our area lakes, ponds, rivers, quarries and swimming holes. Manchester gives you access to summer fun in the clean and clear waters of Vermont.
Hop in the car and explore our back roads and scenic byways. Stop along the way for a chairlift ride to the top of a mountain. Ride on the Alpine Slide. Or just picnic on the side of the road.
- See the SitesSouthern Vermont has plenty of designated historic roads and scenic byways for you to explore. You can even drive to the top of Mt Equinox overlooking all of Manchester and beyond.
- Hop in the SaddleGet into the country and enjoy the peaceful surroundings on guided horseback or perhaps take a wagon ride. Also, the Vermont Summer Festival Horse Show is here for six weeks starting in early July.
- Family AdventuresBromley Adventure Park features alpine slides, climbing walls, zip-lines and a host of other activities. Stratton offers Gondola rides to the top of the highest peak in Southern Vermont.
Manchester is Vermont’s hub for the outdoor life. Healthy recreation, lots of fun, and beautiful views await. Whether you are experienced or a beginner, there is plenty for you to do and learn.
- Road Touring and Mountain BikingBike trails are plentiful – both on and off road. Enjoy everything from a leisurely picturesque ride, to a day-long scenic adventure, or challenge yourself on a spine-tingling mountain trail.
- Hiking and Walking TrailsTrails galore in Manchester and beyond. Hiking for all ages and abilities. Explore the Equinox Preserve, Lye Brook Falls, Merck Forest, Battenkill River Walk or the Green Mountain National Forest.
Manchester and surrounding communities are the leading regional center for the arts in all of Vermont. Our vibrant cultural heritage attracts artists and performers from around the globe.
- Art Museums and GalleriesVisit the Southern Vermont Art Center, with its picturesque location making this a must see for the art enthusiast and the “not so” enthusiastic. Some of the largest galleries in the state dot our area.
- Live TheatreSummer stock is alive in our neck of the woods. Visit the Weston Playhouse and the Dorset Theatre for world-class performances that will leave you smiling long after the final curtain.
- Music and ConcertsThe rhythm of Manchester is music. See the nationally-renowned Manchester Music Festival, concerts at the Arkell Pavillion, bands on the town green and at street festivals, or just dance at a local pub.
- History Made HereSee monuments, historic buildings and encampment sites for revolutionary leaders and the militia battling in nearby Ticonderoga, Bennington and Saratoga. President Lincoln’s Hildene is a must see.
Incomparable shopping at local markets, premium designer outlets, and one-of-a-kind stores. Enjoy a walk with beautiful views, quintessential Vermont architecture, and friendly storekeepers.
- Manchester Designer OutletsManchester’s quintessential Vermont buildings house the world’s best brands and incredible savings. Walk the historic town and shop in the most beautiful setting of any outlet center in the world.
- Farmer’s MarketsSample and take home fresh, local produce, eat the best baked goods you’re ever tasted, or just have a good time walking around and enjoying the entertainment.
- Antique Stores and AntiquingManchester is your home for some of the best antique and collectible adventures anywhere. Join us for Antique Week in early October when antique shows abound.
- General StoresOur area’s general stores take you back in time with friendly shopkeepers, wood-planked floors and locally-produced products and foods that you just can’t find anywhere else.
- Flagship StoresGet lost for hours in the nationally-acclaimed Northshire Bookstore; discover the “practical and hard-to-find” at the Vermont Country Store; and visit Orvis, a sporting and fly-fishing paradise.